EnzyChrom™ Intestinal Permeability Assay Kit
- Determination of intestinal permeability through measuring lactulose/mannitol ratio in urine samples.
- Simple and convenient. Both assays require addition of single working reagent and can be completed within 60 minutes. Both assays are performed at room temperature. No 37°C heater is needed.
- High-throughput. "Add-mix-read" type assay. Can be readily automated as a high-throughput 96-well plate assay for thousands of samples per day.
- 60 and 30 min
- 100 tests
- D-Mannitol: 7 µM; Lactulose: 3 µM
- 6 months
- INTESTINAL PERMEABILITY is a phenomenon of the gut wall in which leakage of molecules and ions below 0.4 nm occurs from the gut lumen into blood circulation. This paracellular leakage occurs through tight junctions between epithelial cells. Elevated paracellular leakage has been implicated in many disorders and diseases.
BioAssay Systems intestinal permeability assay kit is based on measuring the ratio of the absorption of two non-metabolized sugars to through the intestines. Test subjects drink a prescribed amount of lactulose and mannitol and the % absorption of these sugars is determined by the amount of excreted lactulose and mannitol measured during the first 6 hours after ingestion. The degree of intestinal permeability is reflected by the ratio of the % absorption of lactulose to % absorption of mannitol. An increase in this ratio indicates increased intestinal permeability since lactulose is only absorbed though intercellular spaces. Lactulose and mannitol are measured in separate assays using the included EnzyChrom™ Lactulose Assay Kit and Mannitol Assay Kit, respectively.
Please refer to FAQs for EnzyChrom™ D-Mannitol Assay Kit (cat#: EMNT-100) and EnzyChrom™ Lactulose Assay Kit (cat#: ELTL-100)
For more detailed product information and questions, please feel free to Contact Us. Or for more general information regarding our assays, please refer to our General Questions.