QuantiChrom™ Aldehyde Dehydrogenase Inhibitor Screening Kit
- HTS for inhibitor screening and evaluation of aldehyde dehydrogenase inhibitors.
- Rapid and reliable. Can be completed in under an hour.
- Homogenous and convenient. "Mix-incubate-measure" type assay. No wash and reagent transfer steps are involved.
- Robust and amenable to HTS: can be readily automated on HTS liquid handling systems for processing thousands of samples per day.
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase
- 100 tests
- 6 months
- ALDEHYDE DEHYDROGENASES (ALDHs) are a superfamily of oxidoreductases which catalyze the conversion of aldehydes to carboxylic acids. ALDH is crucial in the metabolism of alcohol as alcohol dehydrogenase breaks down ethanol to acetaldehyde. Acetaldehyde, which is toxic to the body, is in turn broken down by ALDH to acetic acid. Imbalances of aldehyde dehydrogenase have been linked to both alcoholism and alcohol sensitivity in people. Inhibitors of the enzyme have been used in cases to treat alcoholism in patients. Cancer stem cell populations also display a heightened activity of ALDH, making ALDH inhibition a promising anti-cancer therapy approach. BioAssay Systems QuantiChrom™ Aldehyde Dehydrogenase Inhibitor Screening Kit is based on the enzymatic conversion of acetaldehyde to acetic acid and NADH by ALDH. The formed NADH in turn reduces a formazan reagent into a colored product the absorbance of which, measured at 565 nm, is proportional to the enzyme activity in the reaction. The percent inhibition of a test compound can be determined by comparing the activity of ALDH treated with a test compound to the activity of untreated ALDH.
Does the kit come with ALDH or control inhibitors?No, these are not included.
How do I store the kit?This kit is shipped on ice. Upon receiving, please store the kit at -20°C.
What species of ALDH was the kit optimized for?The kit was optimized for ALDH from from S. cerevisia (baker’s yeast). .
What if I am interested in testing inhibition of a species besides baker's yeast?We recommend that you experimentally determine the Km and then adjust the volume of substrate so that the final concentration of the substrate in the 100 µL Reaction Volume is near the Km.
What ALDH inhibitors were tested using this kit?The kit was tested with Disulfiram (CAS Number 97-77-8).
For more detailed product information and questions, please feel free to Contact Us. Or for more general information regarding our assays, please refer to our General Questions.